Saturday 6 March 2010

The Black Candle


It is not a very fashionable thing to say that i have a soft spot for Catherine Cookson, but I don't care, i do! The reason I am so bold in my admiration of Catherine is she introduced me to adult literature so I owe her an enormous debt. The story was a typical Cookson, a maid with a bastard child, a nasty posh man, a loving working class man who meets a tragic end and a bunch of strong women! I will be the first to admit that the acting in this DVD wasn't Oscar standard but still enjoyable for a Sunday afternoon. Nathanial Parker was a stereotypical baddie, all he needed was a twirling dark mustache and Samantha Bond was a very believably Bernadette. The settings were poor, I could tell the rain was fake! Overall a pleasant way to spend 2 hours of my life!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!! I used to read all my mum's Catherine Cookson, i loved them! And Dannielle Steel!! Never got into the film adaptions tho, bad acting all round i thought!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read loads of Catherine Cookson books. I love her work

    ReplyDelete